Inhale and Exhale: Simple Breathing Technique to Create Calmness
With practicing breathing and mindfulness a person can::
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Help with PTSD
- Help alleviate pain
- Process emotions
- Boost Immunity
- Aid in positive self-development
- Increase Joy and Happiness
Connecting breath allows us to increase our energy flow to not only the heart and lungs, helps calm the nervous system but also to our overall well being, there are many breathwork techniques for many different reasons.
Here I will explain one of the simplest techniques.
Diaphragmatic Breathing can be done in supine (laying on back) or in sitting/standing position. It allows the upper abdominal wall to extend and contract and increase activity within the internal organs.
One example of Diaphragmatic Breath is Belly Breath:
Belly Breath (Diaphragmatic)
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Place one hand on your chest and one hand on your belly.
- INHALE with a deep breath through your nose, let your belly softly press your hand out, your chest should not move.
- EXHALE through your mouth with lips lightly pressed (almost like a whistle). Feel the hand on your belly go in, and use it to gently guide all the air out.
- Repeat 3-10 times – take your time and notice how you feel.
If you have an interest in Yoga to improve your health, call Fortius Physio for more information today!
Shauna Priebe, RYT 200hr.